This is one of the most asked questions I get as a Makeup Artist.
My answer: Exfoliate then layer your lip color in these 5 easy steps:
- Keep your lips exfoliated. You can make a paste out of brown sugar and honey or olive oil. Using a dry toothbrush, softly rub the paste onto your lips in a small circular motion. Rinse and follow up with a lip treatment at night or lip balm during the day. Here are some more DIY sugar scrub ideas for your lips on The Gloss blog.
- If you just applied lip balm as mentioned in step 1, blot off any excess and lightly powder lips with translucent powder.
- Apply lip liner that matches your own lip color or... for a more intense look...one that matches the lip color product. Line and fill in the entire lip area.
- Apply lipstick color, matte or velvet colors will last longer than lip sheen.
Blot. Apply a little bit of translucent powder. I go right on top..but you can use a tissue between your lips and the powder brush. Repeat.
- Follow with a long lasting formula of lip gloss. This type of gloss will be a thicker formula.
Products I love:
Lip Serum Treatment - Rebuilds collagen and adds fullness and lessen lines around the lips.
Lip Pencil: I used this one for years on my brides. It is my go-to liner...creamy but also long lasting. I stumbled across it at my local CosmoPro. They no longer carry it... so I buy it online. I also like t leclerc lipliner #6 and Rimmel long lasting lip liners.
Lip Color: Lip tar will last a LONG time. I use it on my brides...just be careful...a little goes a LONG way.
Hope that helps!!